There are affiliate ads on this page, if you click on one and purchase something I may be compensated.
Please don’t be intimidated by lining a bag. I was at first but after a few minutes of thinking it through I realized how easy it really is. So hopefully as you follow these few directions you will find it to be easy also. From start to finish it took me about 45 minutes to make the bag and an additional 20 minutes to sew it to the crochet bag.
This tutorial although simply written is intended for someone with basic knowledge of sewing.
Pick out your material, the options are endless, I did try to make sure that the fabric was a bit sturdier.
2 Pieces of Fabric of Choice (one for the inside lining and one for the outside lining)
Safety Pins or Straight Needles
1. Unfold the fabric and iron it so it is nice and flat
2. Fold the inside lining right side together
3. Fold the outside lining right side together
4. Lay two fabrics on top of each other
5. Lay finished crochet bag on top of both fabrics
6. Leave about 2 1/2 inches on top and about 1/2 inch around the sides and bottom of bag, Cut around bag
7. Pin around the sides and bottom of the inside lining. Repeat around the outside lining
8. Sew around inside lining leaving opening at the top. Repeat around the outside lining
9. Lay inside lining on top of outside lining and sew around both at the same time
10. Turn so outside of lining is on both sides of inside of lining
11. Fold down top of the lining, so the inside lining is seen around the top of the outside lining. Double check that it is not going to stick out the bottom of the bag, you may need to trim a bit off
12. Iron, pin and sew around both top and bottom of folded down fabric
13. Insert lining into bag, pin into place and sew the top edge of lining to crochet bag
And there you have a completed lining for a bag! See that was not so hard!
Published July 2014, KatiDCreations.com